Sunday, June 3, 2012

Can you teach an old dog a new trick?

This post isn't really about dogs.  Sorry to disappoint you ;-)  You can see a photo of our dog at the bottom on the post.  His name is Fonzy.

I wish I could show you a video of our dog doing this trick that I'm about to describe, but unfortunately, our dog is not that well trained.  I'm sure that you have seen a dog owner place a dog treat on his/her dog's muzzle.  The well trained dog patiently waits for the owner's command to eat the treat.  Why does the dog wait?  If he does not wait for the command, he gets to eat the treat.  If he waits for the command, he gets to eat the treat.  So, what motivates the dog to wait?  The dog wants to please his master.  If he waits, he not only gets to eat the treat but he also gets a "That a boy" from the owner. 

I feel like that dog.  God had put a treat on my nose.  He's asking me to patiently wait for His timing to eat the treat.  I do not want to wait!  I want to gobble up that treat.  There's only one thing that I want more than the treat and that's to please my Jesus.  It's so difficult to learn some self-control! 

Isaiah 40:31
"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment