Monday, August 3, 2015

The Tea Party



 I was a recent college graduate, living in my own apartment.  It was summer time, school was out and I decided to kill a day by making all kinds of cookies.  My parents gave me a cookie press and I wanted to use all the plates.  How many different shapes could I make?  Half way through my baking extravaganza, I had a brilliant idea.  Tint some of the dough pink!  Then I could make cookies not only of various shapes, but also colors. 

These mild little butter cookies go so well with tea and coffee.  I had enough to throw a big tea party.  Unfortunately, I had just moved to Wichita to begin my first full time teaching position.  I didn’t know anybody yet.  Therefore, I decided to throw a tea party for myself and God.  I know it sounds silly.  God doesn’t require food like we do, but I required company.

I set a place of good china for both of us.  I arranged the cookies on a platter.  I served us both coffee.  Then I began conversing out loud to God, making small talk like one would do at a tea party.  I can’t remember how the subject came up, but I distinctly remember asking God why He made me the way He did.  Seriously, wouldn’t it be a little easier for me to maintain a healthy body weight if He had made me taller?  My hair wouldn’t turn into a ‘fro if He had made it straight.  Couldn’t I be more charming and funny?  Why did He make me so serious?  Was it really necessary for me to be a nerd, delighting in knowing the answers to the teacher’s questions? 

Oddly enough, I did get an answer.  It wasn’t audible, but God began speaking to my heart.  He directed my attention to the plate of cookies.  Why had I made them all different shapes?  Why did I tint some pink?  Well, I made some of them pink because I wanted to.  When I saw the cookies, I smiled.  God told me that when He sees the unique individual He created me to be, He smiles.  He takes pleasure in the short, curly-haired, inquisitive, serious person that He created me to be.  He delights in you too. 

Zephaniah 3:17 “The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

The verse above was written to the nation of Israel, but I believe that New Testament believers enjoy His delight too.  I’ll blog about that later ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment